1.28.2008

now you, too, can do something.

As many of you know running has become a pretty important part of keeping sanity for me. Every year PCV's from South Africa (and some of the surrounding countries) run a marathon called Longtom. Actually, Longtom is an ultra marathon (longer than a typical marathon) and I'm for sure not in the shape to do that but I will be running the half marathon. I'm really excited.
Longtom isn't just for fun. It's also a chance to raise money for the KLM foundation. Their website is: http://www.klm-foundation.org/; please check it out. The organization was founded by two PCVs (Peace Corps volunteers) who served in South Africa a few years ago. They decided to use the Longtom marathon as a fundraiser; they fund a worthy, needy child to attend an excellent secondary school in Mpumalanga - Uplands College. I think maybe you all are starting to get an idea of how hard it can be for village kids to make it out of the village and into higher education and going to a good secondary school is an incredible first step.
I think the KLM foundation is pretty amazing, and it's a chance for you to stop being a spectator in my efforts to make small change in South Africa and sponsor me in my quest to run a half marathon.
Please give what you can; any amount is appreciated. Even if you can only give $10 or $20, it is much needed. (Of course, I'm not going to fight you if you want to give more) It is tax-deductible. So please go to the KLM website to make a donation, just click on the 'donate' photo. Make sure to put my name in the white box where it asks for the Longtom person you want to sponsor. The online donation is preferable, but if you need to mail in a check, please make it payable to KLM Foundation (US) and send it to:

KLM Foundation (US)c/o Bowen Hsu461 So. Bonita AvenuePasadena, CA 91107
And make sure to include a note that your donation is in my behalf.

You can spare $20. This is a good organization run by Americans who know how awful it is when people use the faces of impoverished african kids to buy land rovers or nice houses. These people will use your money really well.

Plus, if you donate I promise to take a picture of myself just as I finish the race and I'm red-faced and exhausted and sweaty and send it to you...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

erin, you're awesome. i miss you. since i donated $50, does that mean i'm a gazelle instead of a buffalo? i feel like that's the next step down. hope the marathon goes well and your ass is well kicked. love you!

Roza

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind the fact that I think they can better spend my NYLSC travel stipend. I can't wait to get that dirt covered picture!

- Embo

Anonymous said...

I donated today. And I sent you 2 letters. A big one from the kids and one little bitty one from me. love you! caryl